So for the book carving project I decided to use the idea of Jimmy Valvano. He's a basketball coach for NC State that died of cancer. I thought the idea was good because college basketball is on and everyone is an NC State fan so I thought it would be good. Some struggles I faced during this project was the blade not being sharp enough which resulted in the page ripping. Also sometimes I wouldn't cut deep enough so I would have togo back and clean it up. If you didn't have a clear plan during this project then the layers of the book would be messed up and there would be a lot of trial and error. Some risky things I did was carving the net. Because it was so thin it would rip and I also had to cut in between the net to give it a realer look. I actually really like this project because I enjoyed cutting all the pages and the needed detail involved. I give this project a thumbs up!
Monday, January 6, 2014
In my mixed media piece I had showed amusement by putting phones in each frame of the time periods. The main summary of my artwork is to show the evolution of phones throughout history. Although the time period doesn't exactly match up with when the phone was made, it sort of exaggerates it making it more interesting.Showing variety is what I had said earlier making different time periods.What I had used to make my artwork was I had ripped and glued tissue paper in the background to set the mood of each frame, but also I sort of had to make the colors sort of flow together.Then for the pictures I cut them out of magazines and printed them off of the computer. I think that us doing visual journaling helped me with the technique of using all the tissue paper and knowing the rights and wrongs of what I was doing. Some challenges I faced during this project was making the pictures different sizes. If I wanted more attention on certain pictures I would make them larger and up close and the less attention pictures smaller. One of my successes was the use of the bright colors I use to grab the attention of any viewer, because that's what I think you really need, an eye catching picture. I overall think I could of done better.
Tuesday, November 12, 2013
So for this project I chose to do a portrait of my dog and I decided to make it out of Cheetos. I spray painted the different cheetos to show the differences of shading. I chose to do my dog because I feel that he is a very interesting subject to do. While brain storming for the project I decided to use cheetos because our family has an ongoing thing that he smells like cheetos, so I thought that it would be funny if I were to make him out of cheetos. It had impacted my piece by making it seem as if it my dog were made out of cheetos. The risks I took in this project were that I had to strategically place the cheetos so that they could fit as close together as possible. The challenges I faced were that some cheetos are larger than others so I had to constantly flip them or break them to the flatter side of the cheeto would stay down with the glue. I don't really think my choices impacted the piece that much. I tried not to break the cheetos too much because I wanted to make it look like it came together naturally. I overall enjoyed this project!
Thursday, October 17, 2013
I really liked my idea for Sticky Situation because I really stretched the boundaries for what was expected. I had developed my ideas for this because I thought that being suspended in the air held up by thousands of helium filled balloons would pretty much put you in a sticky situation. I guess you could say I thought outside the box because I know that a lot of people just chose literal sticky stuff like gum or glue or tape, something like that. I showed repetition in this painting by adding all the balloons. I chose acrylic paint because I believe it is easier to work with and I think that it shows bolder colors than watercolor. Without acrylic I wouldn't of been able to make the white snow on the mountains and make them the way they are. The mini lessons that we did were crucial because it taught me how to add value and shading to the painting. This project is a thumbs up from me!
Friday, September 27, 2013
I had developed this idea for up close and personal because I liked how it was closing in on fall and Halloween so I had decided to take advantage and use a pumpkin. I had another design of doing a skeeball theme which is an arcade game. But because the skeeball idea was a little too complex and involved straight lines which I really didn't really want to do.I think that in this project I had really shown some technique to make this project great. The medium would have to be the pumpkin because it is the main attention on the whole page.I demonstrated emphasis in the project by adding lighter colors to show that it was underneath the sun and that it was three dimensional and one or two dimensional. I had actually really liked this project far more than our last project.
Monday, September 23, 2013
This project I believe was an ok project because I am more of a three dimensional building kind of guy and not really a drawing kind of person. But I liked I chose Clocks as my idea because it's a really good thing to explore. You can really do anything with clocks which is why I chose to do them. I showed contrast in this project by drawing different sized clocks and making the background a clock.I had also made the middle the light source so all the clocks seemed to be moving towards it also. Some techniques I used in this project was the use of sort of layering, I don't really know the exact name of it but having a background and a foreground. I don't really think I had taken any risks in this project because it was the first one of the year so I had done it cautiously, I will be taking more risks later on. I overall had mixed emotions about this project.